Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) has announced that it will soon begin accepting claims from Fukushima residents for lodging and other costs resulting from the evacuation of areas surrounding its stricken Daiichi nuclear power plant. Claim forms will be accepted from Sept 12, and the company aims to make its first payments in October.
TEPCO officials told a news conference in Tokyo that the initial round of compensation claims are to cover damages from March 11 up to Aug 31. The company also announced that subsequent claims are to be taken quarterly and that the first round of compensation will not cover property damage.
According to the government, about 80,000 people were evacuated from a 20-km radius around Fukushima Daiichi plant, which has been leaking radiation since March 11.
Compensation amounts announced so far include a 5,000 yen flat fee for transportation costs and 8,000 yen per night for accommodation. It is estimated that the company will pay out around 56,000 yen per household, to around 150,000 people. Additional amounts will be paid for loss of income and emotional stress on a case-by-case basis, TEPCO said, adding that those amounts will be in line with government guidelines issued earlier in August.
The first payments will come nearly seven months after the start of the nuclear crisis and represent just the first round in an ongoing series of state-subsidized payments.
As part of the compensation plans, the government will pitch in an initial 2 trillion yen in the form of special government bonds.
The Diet in early August, passed a law to create a state-backed entity that would help TEPCO pay the compensation bill for the disaster, estimated to reach tens of billions of yen. The government has agreed to help TEPCO compensate evacuees and other victims, conceding in the law that the state is partly responsible because it has promoted nuclear energy for decades.
Filed under: 8.Eathquake & Nuclear accident